• She started her dance training at the age of 4 in Tijuana, Mexico City, Los Angeles and San Diego. At this age, she focused on Ballet and Flamenco.
• She also studied Engineering in Electronic Systems in Cetys Tijuana (she is the only woman in that career.) and she obtained her Masters Degree in Robotics in UCLA, and took three semesters in Economics at UABC, where she won multiple contests in science and mathematics.
• While living in LA, she went to an audition and ended up getting a record deal, with Warner Brothers Records, to sing for the international quintet i5, which was an all female pop group. She got to share the stage with artists such as Christina Aguilera, and the Backstreet Boys. She was also a part of several Nickelodeon, as well as Britney Spears and N’Sync Tours.
• She recorded a Solo Album produced by Mario Quintero and Los Tucanes De Tijuana.
• It was also around this time that she met the world of salsa and fell in love with the dance style.
• In 2005, she founded Alma Latina Performing Arts School in Tijuana.
• In 2006, Alma Latina Dance Company was formed. Almost instantly, the company had great success in its first year, gaining a reputation nationally and internationally for their unique style of dance and the superior quality with which they train their students and performance teams.
• With creative and powerful choreographies and an ability to draw technique from a broad range of dance styles, Gaby has created teams that are dominating international competitions. Not only is she taking Latin dance to the next level, but she is constantly pushing and expanding the envelope of what Latin dance is with their remarkable precision and complex formations infused with their own innovative moves, styling, and technique.
• In the last ten years, Alma Latina has established itself as the most well renowned Latin dance company in the world, with a grand total of 28 trophies for Salsa on 1, Salsa on 2, Bachata, Cumbia, Kids Division, and teams. This also includes 2 time World Champions in Teams Division, 2 time World Champions in Amateur Division, 2 time World Champions in Over 65 Combined Division, and 2 time World Champions in Kids Division.
• In 2012, Alma Latina Swept through the World Latin Dance Cup like a giant tsunami. They placed 1st in Salsa on 1, 2nd on Salsa on 2, 1st AND 2nd place in Salsa Teams, and 1st in Salsa Amateur Teams.
• In reality, there are three Alma Latina Dance Studios (Tijuana, San Diego, and Mexicali.) For the past five years, Tijuana has hosted visitors from all over the globe as part of their summer intensive training.
• In 2011, Gaby got inducted into the Tijuana Hall of Fame.
• In 2013, the Alma Latina Franchise was launched. Currently, there are more than 40 franchises in the United States, 8 in Canada, 20 in Mexico, and 3 in Asian countries such as Singapore, India and Japan. With more coming to Europe in 2016.
• In 2016 Ama Latina swept the global summit competition bringing home 19 trophies for salsa and bachata.
• Currently, Gaby Equiz travels 48 out of the 50 weeks of the year to different parts of the world representing Mexico. She gives classes and performs as the world champion of Bachata and the Director of the largest and most well renowned Latin Dance Company in the world.
• Gaby Equiz also provides online courses to people in more than 20 different countries in the world.
• Alma Latina is much more than a Dance Academy that produces World Championship Dancers. It’s a dynasty that is promoting Latin dance around the world with, as the name implies, a Latin Soul.
A founding General Director of Alma Latina Global, Gaby Equiz is one of the power women in Salsa. Gaby led Alma Latina’s explosive growth including dozens upon dozens of World Championship titles since 2005. Today, the reach of Alma Latina Global includes an estate of over 40 franchise operations spanning five continents.